måndag 6 april 2009

PeterGabrielMusic.

I've been thinking a lot lately about music.
And what I'm gonna do with my voice and my musicalness.
Not a word perhaps but.
I love singing, it's been my identity for so long and it is my pride.
Problem is, I don't know if I can write songs.
And I only just started playing the piano.
I am worried about the fact that maybe there isn't a lot more you can do.
So many songs have been written.
And I wanna write music that moves you to tears.
The type of music that I get shrills from, that makes me want to sing off the top of my lungs, music that makes me cry, laugh and scream.

Examples of songs that brings out strong emotion in me are:
"Biko" by Peter Gabriel, "With or Without You" by U2, "Sacrifice" cover by Sinead O'Connor, "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, "Howl in the Jungle" by The Mo, "Fresh Feeling" by Eels, "I Can See Clearly Now" cover by Holly Cole, to name a few.

I am worried.
Cuz what can I even bring to the world?
Cassie said to me a few days ago that she wouldn't want to be famous, and I don't think I'll strive for that either BUT, I really feel I want to do something, maybe just something that'll hit someone somewhere, in their soul or just something.

Like the song "Biko", it has such a huge meaning, it's written for Stephen Biko, a freedom-fighter in South Africa, who brought attetnion to Apartheid, from the rest of the world. He was imprisoned, tortured for months and murdered in jail. And the song is so powerful and it just strikes you right in the heart, especially if you know the story behind it. I would want to write Peter-Gabriel-music. His songs are poems and music and I want to find that balance and communicate this to the world. "Here Comes the Flood", "Family Snapshot","Don't Give Up" and "Solsbury Hill" I also recommend you to listen to. They take me to another world. You should come visit.

You can, blow out a candle
But you can't blow out a fire
Once the flame begins to catch
The wind will blow it higher

Oh, Biko
Biko, Because Biko

Yihla Moja, Yihla Moja
The man is dead, the man is dead.

And the eyes of the world
are watching now,
Watching now.
-"Biko"

Inga kommentarer: